Sunday, July 20, 2008

Life, The Universe & Everything Else

Yup, the title of this blog is the title of one of the books in my favourite trilogy in five parts - Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy, by Douglas Adams. But, this entry is about life as I see it, The Universe, (God), how I see it and everything else in between that has no neatly packagable label.
I have been on the most amazing journey in my life this week, which in snatched moments has been documented in previous blogs. Those blogs have been dashed out in moments between moments, never really capturing what is going on... what the universe, what God, is teaching me about everything else that happens in between life.
For a while now I have been in a really good space about my life - as I knew it. I have an awesome job, I get paid to fulfil my passion and as such the rest follows. I am happy as a person - I have wonderful friends and family, I see the beauty in every day, I have no lacks.
Then, this week I was challenged by three very distinct episodes. The first with my maid, Ana, the second with Simon, who made my absolutely awesome and pointless green beaded tortoise that serves no purpose except to sit on my counter and have people comment on it, and the most recently, Thandi and her son, relative strangers, house guests in my little flat.
All three of these episodes have turned my world upside down in five very short days. Simon and Ana challenged me to realize that things that I consider little irritations have the world of meaning for them. Thandi and her son have made me grateful for the life that I have, even more than seeing something beautiful in each day did.
In five short days my life has so much more meaning. Everyday I have a smile on my face and little things are just that, little things. And a smile that comes from contentment can overcome any little thing. In five short days the universe, God, has shown me how connected people actually are, and how important those connections are. Not just the obvious connections with friends and family, but those that are there when we open up our lives and forget to distrust and judge because we have learnt to.
In five short days, everything else has suddenly become something else, and someone else. Someone, or something, else that has something to teach me about Life and the universe, or God, and everything in between. And everything in between is our connection to our souls and our sense of belonging.
For the first time in my life, through this 5 day experience of Life, The Universe (I say God), and Everything Else, I feel a sense of belonging.
I belong to this world, to this country, to my family, my friends, and in this sense of belonging, everything is possible.
In this belonging every song has a melody, every sunset driven past after work is noticed and reveled in. Every conversation reveals something. Every moment is precious.
This sense of belonging is not just mine. It is there for every person to experience. In every moment. And it is this that I wish to communicate to people through my writing and my actions in life.

1 comment:

DKB said...

Dom!!!

That is AMAZING!
You are amazing!!
There are so many little Kabbalah alarm chimes going off here, but I have been thinking lately that is is spirituality through and through and doesn't need to be linked to any sect.

It's weird, I think we go through this renewal ever few years (I last felt this enthused at varsity) and am also starting to feel it again!

VIVA that!!

Keep up yoour contagious spirit! AWESOME!!!!!